Thursday, August 12, 2010

The irreplaceable void PART 3

Time passes by very quickly, and soon another year has passed. It's winter, and its Christmas time. Everywhere the Christmas spirit is in every passer by.. Christmas carols and frantic shoppers.. but alas, my son got into another trouble. When I was about to knock of from the day's work, the post office called. Due to the peak season, the postmaster was also on an edgy mood. He called to tell me that my son has attempted to post several letters with no addressee. Although I did make a promise never to hit my son again, I couldn't help but to hit him as i felt that this child of mine is really beyond control. Once again, as before, he apologized, 'I'm sorry, Dad.' and no additional reason to explain. I pushed him towards a corner, went over to the post office to collect the letters without the addressee and came home, and angrily questioned my son on his prank, during the time of the year. His answer, amidst his sobbing, was: The letters were for mummy. My eyes grew teary, but I tried to control my emotions and continued to ask him : "But why did you post so many letters, at one time?" My son's reply was: "I have been writing to mummy for a long time, but each time I reach out for the post box, it was too high for me, hence I was not able to post the letters. But recently, when I went back to the postbox, I could reach it and so I sent it all at once..." After hearing this, I was lost. Lost at not knowing what to do, what to say.. I told my son, "Son, mummy is in heaven, so in future, if you have anything to tell her, just read the letter and it will reach mummy. My son, on hearing this, was much pacified and calm, and soon after, he was sleeping soundly. On promising that I will read the letters on his behalf, I brought the letters outside and started reading. And one of the letters broke my heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment